Pages

DC, Some More

I forgot to mention we did a tour of some of the bigger monuments on Tuesday night.  Lucy stayed home, with Lily asleep in bed, and Charlie drove us from site to site.  It was so awesome to see the monuments at night – all lit up.  The Lincoln Memorial must have had just 50 or 60 people there and the Jefferson Memorial had just four!  I didn’t take my camera since I didn’t have a tripod with me, and I distain my flash.

On Thursday we went for the staff led tour of the Capitol Building. Very cool.  The atrium is where most of the cool art hangs out.

IMG_6974 Here is George Washington as a god on the ceiling… Halloween was just a few days away. ;)

IMG_6975 And if you can believe it, these figure in this frieze that wraps all the way around the room are something like fifteen feet tall!

IMG_6977 

Then we checked out the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, the biggest Catholic Church in the US.

24741166

IMG_6995

IMG_6996 The whole ceiling was covered in fabulous mosaics, millions of tiny little tiles!

I couldn’t take many pictures… I was too moved and too busy praying. :)