Pages

Still Bummed...

... about having to take the long glucose test.

Turns out the lab is not open on Sat. :( But I arranged to leave Lele with a friend and Jackson will stay with his mommy during the morning on Monday so I can go and get this thing out of the way.

What I want to know is this, why do the take a whole vial of blood to test your blood sugar? They have those handy little meters that diabetics use, right? In fact, the first time I had to do the three hour test was in Germany. And it actually started out with a fasting one hour test (almost a regular GTT) that just carried over into a longer test when my numbers were too high on a glucose meter!

Yeah, somebody is going to tell me the lab can't give you any results b/c they aren't doctors and you have to see your doctor for interpretation and consultation. But seriously? How hard is it to read a glucose curve?

If you've got a better answer, please let me know.

Thank you for letting me complain. I'd blame my hormones, but I think I'm just cranky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The glucose meter doesn't pick up enough. I believe that the test also looks at how much insulin is in the blood, relative to what should be there. I vaguely remember this explanation but I hate the test so I could just be rambling about nothing that I know about:) Good luck - take your knitting:) And bring food! I couldn't eat anything and when I got home after 3 hrs of sugar spikes I was shaky and sick!

Meagan said...

The glucose test is no fun! When I did mine little baby Ashby did flips and turns in my tummy for what seemed like the rest of the day as a response to all that sugar. Good Luck and I hope the test results are good.