Pages

More Bread

After a couple of requests (I'm so flattered!) I wanted to share my bread recipe with you. Now mind you this is just plain old everyday bread.  I have fancier recipes, but this is my most often used. Makes two loaves.

18 ounces of flour, yes I weigh it, which is about 3 3/4 to 3 7/8 cups of flour. I just guesstimate 60% whole wheat flour since the recipe actually calls for all all-purpose flour.
2 1/4 tsp yeast (one packet of active rise)
2 tsp salt
5 Tbsp olive oil
11 1/2 oz (again weighed) water which is just over 12 fl oz in a glass measure
(if you're feeling fancy 1-2 Tbsp honey is also nice)

Rub the yeast into the flour until it disappears. Add salt, water and olive oil and mix it up, turn it out to kneed it and then do this:



That's the really fun part. :)

Let dough rise one hour in an oiled bowl in a warm, draft free place.
Turn dough out and divide into two, form each into a ball and cover, rest for 15 min.
Mold dough into loaves and place in greased loaf pans, cover with dishtowel and let rise until doubled. (1 hour-ish)

Bake in a preheated 475 degree oven until tapping the bottom of the loaves sounds hollow.  In my oven it's 20 min, but it can be as many as 35... go figure. Remove from pans to cool.

No comments: