Pages

Twilight

Okay, so I waited a bit to write this blog entry so that you wouldn't know that I read the second book in the Twilight series in one day. Of course, that would require me not telling you that I read it all in one day... but whatever.

I want to start by saying I had no intention of reading these books. I hate to be trendy, and with all the attention this series has gotten (not to mention the movies!) I was totally turned off.

But I asked my friend Amy to loan me a book and Twilight was one of the two she brought over.

Here's what I don't get: Edward is supposed to be 110 years old, what does he want with a seventeen year old? Yeah, her blood is his "siren song" or whatever. So then how does he manage to over-come the urge to gulp her down?

sing songy voice Ooo, he lurves her.

Let me restate: he's 110 years old. Far old enough to know he should stay far away from the drama that is high school and teenage girls.

The nitwit! (and I mean Bella here) Not the brightest bulb in the box; not always making the best choices. Yes, I know we have to have a damsel in distress to make the love story work. But seriously? (I hear you Linda!)

ptuey! I had to spit to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Oh! And how creepy is it that he's in her room watchig her sleep at night? Makes my skin crawl.

And yet I really enjoyed the stories... so much so that I read devoured the second one to the neglect distress of my poor Lele. And I will read the others as well, much to my shame.

Perhaps it is the Jake character that keeps me coming back for more. What with his tall lankiness, and shy awkwardness, sinewy strength and mechanical abilities that remind me so much of another Jake I know. Right down to the shaggy hair that my brother sported not too long ago. Does anyone know if they are still casting for New Moon - the movie? I know the perfect guy to play Jake Black --- Jake Headd.

Jake Black... that's funny for a whole other reason. Have you met my husband?

2 comments:

Ells said...

That is funny. :) Thanks for the review. Want to know my current vice as a thanks-for-sharing-yours concession? Farmtown on Facebook.

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY SARA! Exactly. I read an article that calls Edward's whole deal "creepy sexualization" and I totally agreed. I think that the basic plot was excellent but she fell short on the execution. It could have been so much better in so many ways. The second half of Breaking Dawn is in some ways the best part of the entire series; you'll see what I mean when you get there.

The ironic thing is that Meyer then went on to write an adult novel called "The Host" that is truly, truly excellent. It's so well done that I wasn't sure it was the same person doing the writing. I was amazed. Maybe she learned from the constructive criticism.

But anyhoo, I'm really glad I'm not the only one who felt this way about Twilight. Wanted to avoid, wanted to hate it, DID hate it in some ways and yet couldn't. stop. reading. I knew I liked you.

xo
Linda