Pages

For Meagan

Meagan asked me about cloth diapers a bit ago and I keep meaning to answer her, but I realized I don't have her email, etc... so I thought perhaps I'd blog to her.

I just hope I'm not too late.

I have experience with two types of cloth diapers.

Lily uses Bummis, which consist of a "whisper wrap" over a traditional prefolded cloth diaper. The system is similar to what our parents used on us, though there are no pins and the plastic diaper cover is replaced by a wrap that fastens at the sides like a disposable diaper does.

Jackson uses BumGenius 3.0 which are an "all-in-one" diaper. Works just like a disposable diaper only you can wash and reuse them. They have an inner liner that is pulled out during washing, and controls how absorptive the diaper acts.

They both work well.

The Bummis I bought came in two kits, one for 8-15lbs and the other for 15lbs and up, that included a number of prefolds and wraps that they determine are about what you would use in three days. But you can by wraps and prefolds individually and they come in an assortment of sizes. I have found that I haven't needed more than what came in the kits. I spent about $300 for both kits. As I look online I can only find organic kits, though they still cost about the same. $136 per kit at cottonbabies.com.

The BumGenius 3.0 are sold individually, but one size fits all... they have snaps on the front that adjust their rise to fit different size kids. They cost about $18 each and are available in organic cotton for about $25 dollars a piece. (the organic ones seem to have a bit larger leg gusset too, so they leak if they're not changed soon enough)

I only do the wash for Lil's diapers, though the method is the same. And a front loading machine works best. We use a dry pail method, meaning there is no water in the diaper pail, and solids get shaken out in the toilet. Just whatever is loose, so for little ones pretty much nothing. The rest goes in the pail. I do a first wash in cold water, then I treat stains that bother me and wash again in hot water. I used no more than 1/2 the recommended amount of detergent, and if the diapers start to seem less absorbent I throw in an extra rinse.

Oh! and they all need to be pre-washed about 3-5 times in HOT water before you use them... helps make them absorbent.

I think that is everything. If I missed something, let me know. Good Luck!

2 comments:

Meagan said...

Thanks for all the info! We have been leaning towards using the all in one but moving to MD has added a new choice. There is a diaper service available where we are going, in which case we just need the wrap. You info really helped and we look forward to getting Ash into cloth diapers.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for diaper service!! They are so convenient and smell so good! And they are definitely worth the cost compared to all the water, detergent, time and work involved with washing your own cloth diapers.
By the way, Congratulations Meagan, on your beatiful little boy!
Vera (Sara's Mom)